FAMILY CHILD CARE SUID/AHT TRAINING
What is Required?
Minnesota Statutes, section 245A.50, requires sudden unexpected infant death (SUID) training for all license holders, staff persons, caregivers, and helpers who assist in the care of infants. Abusive head trauma (AHT) training is required for all license holders, staff persons, caregivers, and helpers who care for infants and children under school age.
The training must have been developed by the commissioner and approved by the Minnesota Center for Professional Development. The training must be completed face-to-face, through classroom training, or through online training at least once every two years. On the years when the license holder is not receiving SUID and AHT training face-to-face, in a classroom, or online, the license holder must receive SUID and AHT training through a video of no more than one hour in length. The video must be developed or approved by the commissioner.
SUID Videos (view all videos to meet the training requirement for your-off-year requirement)
The Department of Human Services has approved the following series of videos to meet the SUID component when individuals are not receiving face-to-face, classroom, or online SUID training. All videos must be viewed to meet the SUID training requirement.
Please Note: The videos below include portrayals of infant sleep environments in private, non-licensed, homes that are not subject to the requirements of Minnesota Statutes, section 245A.1435. Licensed child care providers must comply with statutory safe sleep requirements when sleeping infants including nothing in the crib except for an infant’s pacifier. In addition, attachments or modifications to the crib are prohibited.
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNWBSZZm3no&list=UUJDcgrMl0B2Og4ZdeOOrnFA&feature=c4-overview Produced by Hennepin County Produced by Hennepin County (4:17)
2. http://vimeo.com/51317716 Produced by Eastern Virginia Medical School (5:50)
3. https://www.co.dakota.mn.us/HealthFamily/ChildCare/Providing/Pages/sleep-on-it.aspx Produced by Dakota County (6:28)
AHT Videos (view all videos to meet the training requirement for your off-year requirement)
The Department of Human Services has approved the following series of videos to meet the AHT component when license holders are not receiving face-to-face, classroom, or online AHT training. All videos must be viewed to meet the AHT training requirement.
1. http://ctf4kids.org/2011/10/new-educational-videos-released-on-shaken-baby-and-safe-sleep-awareness/Never Shake (7:48)
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THhFoYk7U40 The Doctors (1:48)
3. http://www.biane.org/abusivetrauma/forevershaken.html Forever Shaken (33:17)
While no specific method of verification is required, you may print this page for documentation that you have watched each of the videos to fulfill your training requirement.
__________________________ Date ___________________